2015 has been a huge year for DJ-Kicks, marking both 20 years of the series as well as our 50th release. But far from slowing down, we’re already looking ahead to another incredible mix from one of our favorite artists.
Over the past decade, Seth Troxler has become a visionary and authentic voice in dance music, his jovial personality cutting through the noise and continually playing by his own rules. Growing up between Detroit and Chicago, his musical education carries enviable credentials, with his stepdad a local radio personality who championed the early sounds of house music.
True to Troxler’s character, the mix has a whimsical nature and a thoughtful and timeless narrative, bearing a tenacious episode for the DJ-Kicks series that gives a true insight into the man behind the well-preened moustache and cowboy antics. “It might seem obvious but to be a successful DJ, you have to be really into music,” Troxler points out. “Collecting music is my life. This is a proper DJ mix – a house mix. It’s good music that works to listen to at any time.”
“For my DJ Kicks mix I wanted to do something that was honest,” he goes on. “I went out in the morning, micro-dosed myself and did all these errands around town. Then I came home at night and did the mix one take. I wanted to curate something for people to easily listen to, that was nice, and funny and got you in the mood to do your homework, or drive that hour long trip when you need to go somewhere. I see this mix as a gay man named Rodney. Or a big black woman named Birtha.”
Seth Troxler’s DJ-Kicks will be available October 16th on CD / LP / digital. Pre-orders are available now via the !K7 store.
01. Niki Nakazawa – Would It Be
02. Herbert – Suddenly (Phil Parnell’s Pianissimo Play Through)
03. DJ Koze – Bodenweich
04. Cobblestone Jazz – Northern Lights
05. Wolfgang Haffner – Melodia Del Viento (Ricardo Villalobos & Max Loderbauer Meloopdia Remix)
06. T&T Music Factory – De Natte Cal (DJ-Kicks)
07. Hauke Freer – XK
08. Butch – Dope
09. Session Victim – Stick Together
10. Club Artists United – Sweet Chariot (Kerri “Kaoz 6:23″ Chandler Dramatic Dub)
11. Jasper Street Company – Reach (Basement Sessions Main Vocal Mix)
12. K-Alexi Shelby – Sex-N-R-001
13. Mood II Swing feat. John Ciafone – Ohh
14. Derrick L. Carter – Dreaming Again
15. Byron Stingily – Why Can’t You Be Real (Danny’s 12″ Mix)
16. Vanessa McMillian – Stay With Me
17. Sun Ra And His Intergalactic Research Arkestra – Enlightenment